This is the first principle of Floortime – It is a profoundly important principle.
R is a different child when he is doing the things he is interested in. When he is not – like when I am doing a crafts activity with him all his dis-ability comes into focus – the attention deficit ( in Autieslike R - I wonder if its really an ADHD an inability to pay attention in general or a lack of attention to things that bore them ) , the fine motor skills, the general lack of with-itness and spaciness !
But start with things that he likes or that make him feel good and he is transformed-
Gone are the fine motor skills when he cruises through the internet – double clicking like a pro.
Gone is the attention deficit when he is playing Patience!( I realized he has memorized the Patience on Starfall as he did it without error in one go again – I could see the computer screen from the bathroom window while getting dressed )
This weekend I was feeling a less inclined to be serious about doing things like Pretend Play( Basically things that I am pushing and that R has little interest in )
But I focused on things that R loves – Sensory Stuff ( tight squeezes, massages , turning him upside down, tickling, rolling around in the bed, pillow sandwich, Wilbarger brushing )
And the only tow Floortime Principles I followed are – "Follow the child's lead" and "back and forth interactions" and opening and closing many circles of communication
It was a simply lovely weekend even though it rained almost incessantly and it was hard to go outside anywhere. But I spend most of it feeling entranced in the spell of this special child .
This child is magic!
( Except for when he is a monster like he was last night when he would not sleep )
He was also very verbal for him using the few words he has spontaneously like
- UP ( to be cuddled or to be at the height suitable to get to Junior Mints or the Remote )
- PISSA ( pizza )
- BINTUH ( mint )
- Shee ( sleep – basically come and lie down with me – he had no therapy Saturday morning and this is all we did – lie down in all the different beds )
- Bos Muth( bonus material – from his Numbers DVD of Baby Einstein – He STILL loves some of these – one of my friends calls them "Baby Autism DVD's and she could well be right LOL
- Spite( Sprite)
- Ssspuh ( to listen to the numbers in Spanish and then Fuhhh in French )
- Boos Coos ( Blues Clues)
- EH tuh ( veggie Tales )
- Muh Muh ( mom )
- Puh Dish ( playhouse Disney on the computer )